Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ode to an Onion

Is there anything finer, really?

Right now I believe that it's my favourite vegetable. Onion is amazing, and you can't doubt that. They say a smile is universal, yeah well, I say the onion is. There is not a major food style that doesn't use an onion varient, the onion is the smile of the food world.

Not only is it a smile, but it's also the little black dress, I'm serious. Perhaps the greatest dishes contain onion, at least the one's I like best have it as part of the recipe. Time of distress and you have to whip something out of nothing? Add onion. Fried, boiled, baked the onion will never let you down.

I know I get my love of food from my fiance, my skills from my mother and grandmother, but my love from my fiance. He taught it me through (initially) fast food joints, then onto the delicious little restaurants. My first real attempt at cooking us something was when I knew I could recreate a burrito I had at Chiquitos (onion included).

It's a real testament that he'd chop an onion for me, save my mascara running down my face. Most of the time I'll let him do it, but I need to every now and a while. Honestly, I'm starting to think that onions are a running theme through our relationship, there's always onion and there's always us. Both of us love onion, hell onion soup is one of our favourite recipes.

And to quote Shrek:
"Onions have layers."


Yes, the onion is magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment